Steve Coleman Archives Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Steve Coleman Archives Forum

Where you can discuss about the music of Steve Coleman

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

book recommendations

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Marcelo

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2006-04-29

book recommendations Empty
PostSubject: book recommendations   book recommendations EmptyMon 8 Jan 2007 - 9:55

hi steve. short question..

could you recommend some books/writings that have inspired your music and are important to you? music? filosophy? astronomy? whatever..

thanks for your beautiful music.

peace and love
/marcelo
Back to top Go down
mojomatta

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: book recommendations   book recommendations EmptyWed 27 Aug 2008 - 13:13

I wouldn't mind some recommendations on saxophone material that you have studied.

And also thanks for the music
Back to top Go down
gouchi

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-11-28

PostSubject: Re: book recommendations   book recommendations EmptySat 28 Nov 2009 - 10:25

Hi,

M-Base crew will publish a book one day ?

Thank you, best regards.
Back to top Go down
http://gooniesnvrsaydie.googlepages.com/
mbase

Registration date : 2006-09-28

PostSubject: Book Recommendations   book recommendations EmptyThu 18 Nov 2010 - 14:45

That list would be very very long, but I will try to make it a little shorter.

Most of the books I read have nothing to do with what you would call 'Jazz'. If its on music at all, it is usually the writings of other musicians who I admire (and cats like Bird, Trane, Von Freeman, etc. did not write anything, so their music is their books for me) or writings on ancient music (Medieval, ancient Greek, Egyptian, Babylonian, Indian, Chinese, etc.).

I also read quite a lot of writings on esoteric stuff.

But all of the esoteric books and the writings on ancient music take a lot of work to understand. Some of the books on music that I have recommended to people are (for me all of these are related to music). I have not studied very many saxophone books, just a few. I don't study technique that much (but maybe I should - LOL):

A Theory of Harmony, by Ernst Levy

Harmonic Experience: Tonal Harmony From Its Natural Origins To Its Modern Expression, by W. A. Mathieu

The Harmony Of The World, by Johannes Kepler; translated into English with an introduction and notes by E. J. Aiton, A. M. Duncan & J. V. Field

The Spiritual Dimension Of Music: Altering Consciousness For Inner Development, by R. J. Stewart

Music And The Power Of Sound: The Influence Of Tuning And Interval On Consciousness, by Alain Danielou

Gregorian Chant, by Willi Apel

Musica Enchiriads And Scolica Enchiriads, translated, with introduction and note, by Raymond Erickosn; edited by V. Palisca

Harmonies Of Heaven And Earth: Mysticism In Music From Antiquity To The Avant-Garde, by Joscelyn Godwin

Textbook Of Harmonics: Volumes I & II, by Hans Kayser - Translated by Ariel Godwin - edited by Joscelyn Godwin

Cosmic Music: Musical-Keys To The Interpretation Of Reality, by Marius Scheinder, Rudolf Haase & Hans Erhard Lauer; edited by Joscelyn Godwin

Harmonics In Astrology, by John Addey

Greek Musical Writings II: Harmonic And Acoustic Theory, edited by Andrew Barker
(especially the writings of Aristoxenus, Ptolemy and Aristides)

The Harmonics Of Aristoxenus, by Aristoxenus - edited with translation, notes, introduction and index of words by Henry S. Macran

Textbook Of Harmonics: Volumes I & II, by Hans Kayser - Translated by Ariel Godwin - edited by Joscelyn Godwin

Essay on the True Art of Playing Keyboard Instruments, by C.P.E. Bach

The Art Of Strict Musical Composition, by Joahnn Philipp Kirnberger; translated by David Beach & Jurgent Thym

To Be, or Not . . . to Bop, by Dizzy Gillespie & Al Fraser

Forces in Motion: The Music and Thoughts of Anthony Braxton, by Graham Lock

Tri-Axiom Writings, Anthony Braxton

Horoscope Symbols, by Robert Hand

The Music of Per Norgard: Fourteen Interpretative Essays, edited by Anders Beyer

Bach and the Riddle of the Number Alphabet, by Ruth Tatlow

371 Harmonized Chorales and 69 Chorale Melodies w/Figured Bass: Piano Solo, edited by Albert Riemenschneider

Notenburchlein Fur Anna Magdalena Bach, by J.S. Bach

J. S. Bach's Precepts And Principles For Playing The Through-Bass Or Accompanying In Four Parts: Leipzig, 1738, by J.S. Bach

Bach and the Meanings of Counterpoint, by David Yearsley

The Technique Of My Musical Language: Volumes 1 & 2, by Olivier Messiaen

Cours Complet d'Improvisation a l'Orgue (Complete Course In Organ Improvisation): Volumes 1 & 2, by Marcel Dupre

German Music Theory in the Early 17th Century: The Treatises of Johannes Lippius, by Benito V. Rivera

The Workshop of Bartok and Kodaly, by Erno Lendvai

The Music of Bela Bartok: A Study of Tonality and Progression in Twentieth-Century Music, by Elliott Antokoletz

Structural Set Analysis Of African Music: Vol. 1: Adowa, by Willie Anku

Structural Set Analysis Of African Music: Vol. 2: Bawa, by Willie Anku

Circles And Time: A Theory Of Structural Organization Of Rhythm in African Music, by Willie Anku

African Philosophy During the Period of the Pharaohs 2780-330 BC, by Theophile Obenga

The Music Of Africa, by J. H. Kwabena Nketia

The Temple of Man, by R. A. Schwaller de Lubicz

The Hindu Temple: Volumes I & II, by Stella Kramrisch

23 Caprices, by S. Karg-Elert; arranged for saxophone by Robert J. Ford

Twenty-Five Caprices (And An Atonal Sonata): For Saxophone, by Sigfried Karg-Elert; edited by Jeffery Lerner

African Rhythm And African Sensibility, by John Miller Chernoff

The Elemental Changes: The Ancient Chinese Companion to the I Ching, by Hsiung Yang & Michael Nylan & Xiong Yang

The Trigrams Of Han: Inner Structures Of The I Ching, by Steve Moore

The Astrology Of I Ching, by W. K. Chu; edited by W. A. Sherrill

The Archaeology Of Music In Ancient China: 2000 Years Of Acoustical Experimentation 1400 B.C. - A.D. 750, by Fritz A. Kuttner

The Discovery Of Musical Equal Temperament In China And Europe In The Sixteenth Century, by Gene Jinsiong Cho

Back to top Go down
gouchi

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-11-28

PostSubject: Re: book recommendations   book recommendations EmptyThu 18 Nov 2010 - 15:25

Thank you very much for the recommendations !

I haven't read yet but I have :

- Music: A Very Short Introduction by Nicholas Cook
- Experimental Music by Michael Nyman
- Can't Stop Won't stop from by Jeff Chang
- Sweet Soul Music by Peter Guralnick
- Musicophila by Olivier Sacks

Thank you, best regards.
Back to top Go down
http://gooniesnvrsaydie.googlepages.com/
Marcelo

Registration date : 2006-04-29

PostSubject: Re: book recommendations   book recommendations EmptySun 1 May 2011 - 14:49

wow! thanks steve!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: book recommendations   book recommendations Empty

Back to top Go down

book recommendations
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Steve Coleman Archives Forum :: Contact with the musicians-
Jump to: