Steve Coleman Archives Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Steve Coleman Archives Forum

Where you can discuss about the music of Steve Coleman

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Notation Logistics

Go down 
AuthorMessage
juanmat68

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-09-26

Notation Logistics Empty
PostSubject: Notation Logistics   Notation Logistics EmptyMon 26 Sep 2011 - 15:36

Hello Steve

My name is Juan. I'm a musician from Venezuela and a big fan.

I don't know if you have addressed this topic in an older post but listening to some of your pieces that have larger ensembles and that are more arranged (in which instruments have specific parts for at least part of the piece) I was very curious about your approach to notating things.

The reason why is because since a lot of the music you write it's pretty involved specially with some of the rhythmic concepts happening, it seems to me that it would be very important that the musicians know what's going on with the other parts.

I've had success in smaller groups writing "mini scores" that have all the information of the tune in a piano staff or maybe three staffs. But I was wondering how do you deal with this in larger groups. Do you just teach them the other parts? Or explain the concepts? or perhaps give them scores? Or do you actually format the sheet music to have their own parts plus the other information?

I hope this makes sense.

Much Respect,

Juan
Back to top Go down

Notation Logistics
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Steve Coleman Archives Forum :: Contact with the musicians-
Jump to: