Steve Coleman Archives Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Steve Coleman Archives Forum

Where you can discuss about the music of Steve Coleman

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

[Bunky Green] Saint ouen near Paris, France - april 4th, '06

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dimitri E.B.

Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2006-04-03

[Bunky Green] Saint ouen near Paris, France - april 4th, '06 Empty
PostSubject: [Bunky Green] Saint ouen near Paris, France - april 4th, '06   [Bunky Green] Saint ouen near Paris, France - april 4th, '06 EmptyThu 6 Apr 2006 - 1:07

Hi all,

Not a Steve Concert review this time but hey...Bunky is Bunky...a very great musician and a very nice person sunny

On top of that Steve produced his last album "Another place" on Label Bleu label.

So I went to see him perform at the Banlieues Bleues Festival around Paris and this time ha was playing with a rhyhthm section from belgium and France.

Bunky Green:saxophone
Eric Legnini:piano
Remi Vignolo:contrebasse
Franck Agulhon:batterie

There was a first act (John Tchicai with some french musicians + electronics) and therefore Bunky "only" played for 80 minutes.

He mainly played songs from his last album, and it was funny to see how the songs ended up being way different from the recording.

Of course it is because the rhythm section played in a very different manner, especially the Piano player who tasted very different from Jason Moran.

Bunky was in very good shape and mood, doin some talks in betweens songs and thankin everybody as usual.
Songs were long enough to have him play long and inspired chorus, and his sound is one of the 7 wonders of the alto sax Very Happy
Eric Legnini did some chorus on almost every songs too and technically very gifted, there was a lack of personnality and from chorus to chorus, no real differences in chords, harmony and rhythm.

The bass player, who was also featured in almost every song, did a great job at changin the pace and the harmony durung his solos and Bunky seems to approve a lot his choices.

Seems to me the drummer was a little bit shy (scared maybe?) but did a good job as supporting the soloist all thru the concert.

All in all it was a fantastic evening, everybody was really crazy about Bunky and his music.......good point.

I met him at the end of the show, giving him a copy of the FM recording of his gig with Secret Doctrine at the Middleheim Jazz Festival in 2001 and a copy of the "Another place" recording session that I taped with my camera.
We had a few short (people were waiting for him) talks and he is a very nice person that will enlight evrybody's heart !

Great Music Bunky, thanks !
Back to top Go down
dave

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2006-04-07

PostSubject: Re: [Bunky Green] Saint ouen near Paris, France - april 4th, '06   [Bunky Green] Saint ouen near Paris, France - april 4th, '06 EmptyFri 7 Apr 2006 - 16:10

Thanks for the review! I just emailed with Bunky and he told me he had a great time over there.

This is my first post by the way, and I just wanted to say thanks for this site. Steve is a great musician. I haven't got his new double cd yet though. I love Lucidarium.

By the way, do you mind if I copy your review of Bunky's show and paste it on this site that I started: http://groups.myspace.com/bunkygreen . It isn't much really, just a place where fan's of Bunky's can discuss his music, and hopefully attract some new fans.

Also, I sent you an email to see if you wouldn't mind me putting one of the pictures you took of Bunky's recording session on the site as well.

Well, thanks again for the site. I just discovered it but I'm sure I'll be spending some more time here.

Dave
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/davecarey
Dimitri E.B.

PostSubject: Re: [Bunky Green] Saint ouen near Paris, France - april 4th, '06   [Bunky Green] Saint ouen near Paris, France - april 4th, '06 EmptySat 8 Apr 2006 - 6:39

Hi Dave,

Nice to see you here.

Bunky's gig was great, I really enjoyed it.

Of course you can use the review I did, it is not much btw, just a few lines.
You can use the pictures too as long as you mentionned the copyright please and maybe post a link to my site.

Im glad you like Bunky's last album too, it is really an amazing piece of music, he sounds soooo good.
I really miss the top notch rhyhtm section he has in this one, but I know he will be playing with Jason this summer, I hope to see them perform.

on another subject, did you listen to the Middleheinm gig they did with Steve ?
You should...

As you say :

Bunky KICK ASS Very Happy

Dimitri.
Back to top Go down
dave

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2006-04-07

PostSubject: Re: [Bunky Green] Saint ouen near Paris, France - april 4th, '06   [Bunky Green] Saint ouen near Paris, France - april 4th, '06 EmptySat 8 Apr 2006 - 23:24

Dimitri,

Thanks for your permission to use the review and picture. I have not listened to the Middleheinm gig yet because my computer is broken right now and I can't download any music. Crying or Very sad I am going to see if a friend of mine can download it and make me a copy. You also have a Renegade Way concert w/ Bunky, Lovano, Steve, and Craig Handy too, right? I'm going to try and listen to that also.

I wish I could hear that gig w/ Jason this summer! I hope Bunky comes to New York City to play soon. I keep telling him to!

Well, thanks again. I'm sure I'll be talking to you more now that I know about this site.

Dave
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/davecarey
Dimitri E.B.

PostSubject: Re: [Bunky Green] Saint ouen near Paris, France - april 4th, '06   [Bunky Green] Saint ouen near Paris, France - april 4th, '06 EmptySun 9 Apr 2006 - 5:14

Ok Dave,

yes there is the Renegade Way recording that you mentionned but the sound quality is rather poor.
But for you it will be good enough Im sure Wink
Back to top Go down
mrknaughty

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-09-12

PostSubject: Re: [Bunky Green] Saint ouen near Paris, France - april 4th, '06   [Bunky Green] Saint ouen near Paris, France - april 4th, '06 EmptySun 12 Sep 2010 - 0:27

Hi
I am new to this forum pls help me how to start here

thanks
MRKNAUGHTY
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Bunky Green] Saint ouen near Paris, France - april 4th, '06   [Bunky Green] Saint ouen near Paris, France - april 4th, '06 Empty

Back to top Go down

[Bunky Green] Saint ouen near Paris, France - april 4th, '06
Page 1 of 1